Skip To Main Content

Working Papers

Anyone under the age of 18 in Connecticut must obtain Working Papers (Certificate of Age Form ED-301) before starting employment. All adolescents wishing to obtain Working Papers must appear in person at Southington High School Student Support Center. Adolescents must bring the original Promise of Employment letter from their prospective employer.  Proof of identification is required. If you attend SHS, we can use School records with your school ID. Non SHS students must provide one of the following ID’s an original birth certificate, driver’s license, learners permit, passport, or a State of Connecticut-issued identification. 

Please review the checklist below from the Connecticut Department of Labor regarding requirements for obtaining working papers:

  • Are you at least 16 years old (15 years old for retail establishments during vacation weeks)?
  • Do you have an employer's written Promise of Employment?
  • Do you have proof of age, such as a birth certificate, baptismal certificate, or passport?
  • Do you have your Social Security card?
  • Is the job permitted for your age according to Connecticut's laws/regulations?
  • Is the industry permitted for your age according to Connecticut's laws/regulations?
  • Are the time and hours of work permitted by law?

If you answered "yes" to all the above questions, please bring your Promise of Employment, and proof of age to the School Counseling office in the Student Support Center at SHS. Preferably in the morning so we have time to process before the end of day.